The History of Dortmund, Germany

The Dortmund, Germany history is way back the 880 A.D. The city has been first mentioned as Throtmanni in the official documents. It was just a small rural community at that date. It was in year 1152, when Emperor Barbarossa visits the area and reconstructed the town that has been destroyed before by fire. Barbarossa stayed in the town of Dortmund for about two years that made it to become a very powerful town of the realm.

The city has become a part of the Hanseatic League during the 13th century. It has achieved the status of being a colonial free city in the 1220. Specifically, it was openly subordinated to the ruler. The trading system of the city has become more progressive and after 1320 it has became Dorpmunde. However, it was lost the status of being a colonial free city by year 1803. Subsequent to the Napoleonic wars, the town was integrated into Prussia and has become the main center for steel and coal. At some stage in World War II, the town beside the neighboring cities has been the target for the raids through allied bombing. Many structures and houses have been destroyed by the assault and about 98% in the inner city lay in wreckage. Dortmund Germany have 500,000 residents and based from the current reports, the reconstruction of the inner town will not be the first to consider but the reconstruction of the city in 1950 has been made fast.

The construction of the hall of Westfalia is completely furnished in year 1952. In 1955, the population of the town has increased to 600,000. In 1957, the historical churches of Dortmund have been reconstructed.

In year 1980, the trading for the steel and coal in Dortmund, Germany has declined and it causes to have a serious unemployment but in year 1990 over 3/5 of the population has been employed for the service division. Furthermore, Dortmund is known as the biggest city in Ruhr. With the order of Kaiser Willhelm II, the canal of Dortmund-Ems and Dortmund Harbour was officially opened. The Ruhr River that is situated along the north is 145 miles and 233 kilometers long. It rises to the hills in Central Germany and had generally flows to the west of the Rhine River in Duisburg. The principal cities of the Ruhr are located in West part where the deposits of coal, especially the first class cooking coal are made. By means of Rhine River, many raw materials have been imported to this region. The development of the district of Ruhr has started at the period of 19th century.